I made a yarnball wreath last week, to hang above my crafting storage. I had seen similar things on pinterest, mainly with some white yarn balls combined with a few white and silver christmas balls, all with a fluffy light feel to it.
To hell with fluffy light I thought, and went for dense and colorful. It's a pretty easy thing to make, you need:
- Styrofoam balls, i used two different sizes
- Suitable glue, i used som standard all around crafting glue
- Yarn of what ever sorts you want
- Cardboard or something else to mount the balls on
1. Cut out a round shape from the cardboard, make it tinner than you want your actual wreath, to be sure there will be no ugly cardboard showing.
2. Wrap your styrofoam balls with yarn until they are completly covered, and glue the end so they won't unravle.
3. Apply glue to the cardboard surface and arrange your balls, placing spots of glue where the balls touch each other aswell, to keep it sturdy.
4. Are there cardboard peaking through here and there? Make small yarn balls (without styrofoam balls) and glue into the gaps.
For the actual wall mounting i crocheted chain stiches..
Since I used scrap yarns from my stash i can look at almost every one of the balls and remember what project the yarn was used in, so i guess it has kind of a sentimental value aswell, since many of the projects have other homes now.